Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Homemade Cadbury Eggs

Homemade Cadbury Eggs


Cadbury

So...confession.

I have never, ever, had a Cadbury Egg.

It's that runny yolk.

I just can't handle it.

I mean, I'm sure they are delicious and all, but I just have a really hard time getting past my yolk issues.

Plus, that bunny in the commercial bothers me. Is he supposed to LAY the Cadbury Eggs, because that just gives me another mental hurdle to overcome. Rabbit hair, and all that. (I'm assuming they don't pop out already wrapped?)


But after I posted my Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs, I had several requests for Cadbury Eggs. I assumed they would be pretty impossible to make, but I Googled it anyways.


Turns out, not so impossible.


I found an awesome recipe and step by step tutorial on Instructibles.com, and I even had all the ingredients on hand.


And listen--I DO realize that Cadbury Eggs are runny in the middle and aren't flat on one side. But it was easier for me to shape them this way, and I really couldn't stomach the egg being all runny and gooey.


So no rude comments, please.


(By the way, whoever left the anonymous comment to me about long nails and jewelry being a "mortal sin" when preparing food--seriously, you totally made me laugh. And then I sprinkled myself with glitter, put on all the jewelry I could find and baked up a giant batch of cookies)

Just barely adapted from Instructables.com

(click here for printable recipe)

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Yellow food coloring
Chocolate candy melts or almond bark


In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter, corn syrup and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat on medium low speed until well mixed.


Spoon about a third of the mixture into a separate bowl and color it with yellow food coloring. Refrigerate the white and yellow mixtures for at least an hour, for easier handling.


Roll the yellow mixture into balls and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes or so. Remove from freezer and cover with white candy and form into an egg shape. Freeze eggs for about 30 minutes.


Melt your candy melts or almond bark according to package directions. Place eggs in the chocolate and coat completely. Remove and place back on wax paper lined baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator until chocolate has set.


If you want these runny like traditional Cadbury Eggs, keep at room temperature. The candy mixture in the eggs softens very quickly.


To see step by step photos on Instructibles.com, click HERE.


Now that I've tried the homemade version, I plan on conquering my store bought Cadbury Egg fear this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment